Monday, June 10, 2013

The Five "Fs"

Listen to anyone talk about self defense or emergency situations long enough and you'll hear the term "fight or flight."  What they're referring to are your choices in an emergency which are to either stand your ground "FIGHT" or run away "FLIGHT."

For a while now some better informed instructors have added "freeze" to the mix which is also a viable option.  Freezing can happen because you have no trained responses to relate to or it can be a voluntary choice to avoid detection by someone or something for example.

I covered all three of these in my book "How To Be Your Own Bodyguard" but, in my never ending quest for more information, I'd be remiss if I didn't add two more recent discoveries to the list.

They are "Fronting" and "Folding"

In the next couple of blog posts I'll go over them in more detail but in a nutshell "fronting" is posturing or bluffing in the hope to intimidate the opposition enough that they change their minds about fighting you and "folding" is submitting to them i.e. curling up and copping a beating hoping at some point they'll tire of it and leave you alone.

Just like the other three they can be effective options given the right circumstances and that's what I'll talk about at length over the next couple of posts.

Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment